Admission is charged.
National Historic Landmark
State Archaeological Preserve
Connecticut’s Oldest House
New England’s Oldest Stone House
Connecticut’s First State Museum
The home of Reverend Henry Whitfield, one of Guilford’s founders, dates to 1639. Built of local granite by the first settlers in Guilford, Whitfield shared the home with his wife, Dorothy, and their nine children. The home also served as a protective fort for settlers and a shelter for travelers. Since 1899, the site has been owned and operated by the State of Connecticut.
- The Visitor Center offers travel information, a gift shop and changing exhibits in two galleries.
- The Whitfield House includes a self-guided tour through three floors filled with 17th-19th century furnishings and artifacts. Tour guides are available to answer questions.
- The Education Building offers other hands-on activities and historical exhibits.
- The Landscaped Grounds feature extensive stone walls, a bronze statue representing Henry Whitfield, and a ship’s cannon from the War of 1812.